CAREERS AT DONALD L. BLOUNT AND ASSOCIATES
open position - mid-level naval architect
DLBA is looking for a mid-level naval architect specializing in the structural design of aluminum vessels, including: (a) recreational vessels, (b) commercial ships, and (c) U.S. Government programs from 20’ to 250’ feet in length.
The ideal candidate is a naval architect with structural design experience. Knowledge and experience should include rule-based calculations for class and the class approval process, and experience with details structural design for production is required. The candidate needs to understand overall structural organization with regard to structural hierarchy and build sequencing, and be familiar with what works and doesn’t work on the production floor. Further, the candidate must have the ability to solve technical problems in the field of structural engineering using first principles hand calculations, and provide technical knowledge on interdisciplinary teams supporting complex design projects. With minimal supervision, develop technical specifications, analysis reports, calculations, and develop designs to meet specifications and regulatory body requirements (ABS/RINA/LR/ISO/USCG). Interface with team members. Research documentation and reports, and summarize findings. Develop status reports, technical reports, documentation, and high level briefings. Perform quality assurance reviews of products such as analyses, calculations and drawings.
• Candidate must be able to quickly obtain a security clearance
• BS degree or higher in engineering or related field
• 5-10 years of related experience
• Ability to work independently or as a team member
• Excellent MS Office skills, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Proficiency in using industry-standard CAD software, including AutoCAD and Rhino
• Strong analytical skills, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Professional Engineer’s License
• Project Management Professional certification
• FEA experience with FEMAP/NASTRAN
• Structural Production Design with ShipConstructor
• Shipyard experience